Puppy lost in Marshall barn fire Tuesday

MARSHALL – Area firefighters responded to a barn fire at a property just north of Marshall on Tuesday afternoon. A nine-week-old puppy was lost in the fire, but there were no human injuries, Marshall Fire Chief Marc Klaith said.

The fire was reported around 2 p.m., at a property on 265th Avenue, north of Marshall. The Marshall Fire Department responded to the call, with assistance from the Ghent and Cottonwood fire departments.

Klaith said it appeared the fire was caused by a heat lamp for a dog kennel. The barn had significant smoke damage, and firefighters had to cut into the metal walls of the barn, Klaith said. Equipment stored inside the barn also had smoke damage, he said.