PREP SOCCER: Marshall places fourth at Albert Lea Invitational

ALBERT LEA – Marshall placed fourth during the Albert Lea Invitational on Saturday.

Albert Lea 5, Marshall 3

Carter Dahl and Preston Smith each scored their second goals of the match for Albert Lea during the final 6 minutes to seal third place against Marshall.

The Tigers, playing the second half shorthanded without goalie Jackson Luther and middle defenders Joey Hulsizer and Drew Tykwinski, played Albert Lea to a 3-3 tie in the 58th minute.

Fifteen minutes into the first half, Marshall took a 2-0 lead on goals from John Kerkaert, who scored into the right corner of the net from 25 yards out, and Bryce Johnson, who scored about 50 second later from close range.

“I believe John’s intent was to send a cross pass into the box and it just worked out in our favor,” MHS head coach Andrew Larson said. “Then, 50 seconds later, Bryce crashed the net on a cross that the Albert Lea goalie mishandled, putting it into the back of the net for a 2-0 lead. The goals weren’t pretty, but we’ll take them.”

Dahl and Preston each struck for the first team about a minute apart in the 20th minute to tie the match a 2-all.

Albert Lea went ahead 3-2 on a goal in the 41st minute.

In the 58th minute, Marshall received a penalty kick after Ceazar Andujar was taken down inside the box. Sam Duran took the kick to tie the match at 3-all.

“It would have been easy for us to give up because we were really outnumbered and our players were exhausted, but we kept fighting and evened the score on a penalty kick,” Larson said. “We were possessing (the ball) well and frustrating them. It was great to see us not give up and get down on ourselves. Then, we lost our other two bench players to minor injuries and played the rest of the game with no subs.”

Fairmont 1, Marshall 0

Fairmont outscored Marshall 3-2 in penalty kicks after the teams tie 0-0 after regulation play in a semifinal-round match.

“We controlled the ball in Fairmont’s end for 80 percent of the half but could not put the ball in the back of the net,” Larson said. “Maybe, we were maybe a little too patient and allowed Fairmont to defend our attack. The second half was much of the same. I would say we controlled the ball about 70 percent of the time, but at the end of regulation it was a 0-0 tie. Credit to Fairmont for not allowing us to get a good look at the net.”

The Tigers received penalty kick goals from Megan Vogl and Sam Duran.

Vogl, who was the first to shoot, handed Marshall a 1-0 lead in penalty kicks. A shot from Derek Hunwardsen got past Luther as the Cardinals tied it 1-1. The Tigers had a chance to break the 1-all tie, but Isaac Hart’s shot was stopped by Trason Arens.

Joe Nordquist gave Fairmont a 2-1 edge in penalty kicks before Duran tied it at 2-all. Sam Havnen’s goal helped the Cardinals re-gain the lead at 3-2.

Marshall still had two more chances to score, but Paul Citrowski’s shot was saved by Arens and Hulsizer’s shot sailed over the net.

Fairmont advanced to the championship match, where it was blanked 4-0 by Worthington.

Marshall hosts Willmar today and Fairmont on Tuesday at The Schwan Regional Event Center.