GIRLS HOCKEY: First-period explosion lifts Tigers past Watertown

MARSHALL – A four-goal first-period outburst lifted Marshall to a 6-2 victory against Watertown, S.D., during the second day of action at the Battle of the Border on Saturday at Lockwood Motors Ice Arena.

The Tigers, who defeated Brookings, S.D., 3-2 on Friday night, went 2-0 against South Dakota teams in the two-day event. Marshall, which has won three straight home games and three consecutive contests overall, leveled its record at 3-3-1 overall.

“In the first period, we picked up from where we left off on Friday. I thought we were really aggressive against Brookings and that is how we started against Watertown (Saturday),” Marshall head coach Kevin Schroeder said. “We didn’t have the intensity that we wanted in the second period, but we talke about that between periods. There was a little more aggression in the third period, when we were better and controlling thinks the way we wanted to have them.”

Teegan Wyffels broke free in the neutral zone before scoring an unassisted goal 1:19 into the game as Marshall grabbed a 1-0 lead.

“Getting the first goal always gets our team excited and it gives us hope for the rest of the game,” Wyffels said. “When we play as a team, that is what I like the most.”

After a solid start, the Tigers increased their intensity in the first period, when MHS outshot Watertown 12-7. Marshall ended up with a 27-23 edge in shots.

Hannah Peterson handed Marshall a 2-0 lead after burying a pass from Mikenna Radke past Lakers goaltender Stacie Dunbar with 7:35 left in the first period.

At the 4:01 mark, Miranda Fischer sent a pass to Bailey Archbold, who scored to give Marshall a 3-0 advantage. It became 4-0 Tigers with 1:38 remaining in the first peiord, when Mikenna Radke scored the first of her two goals with a backhanded shot past Dunbar.

The Tigers went ahead by five goals less than 90 seconds into the second period as Wyffels assisted on Lizzie Archbold’s goal at 15:32.

After Heather Mullin scored to put the Lakers on the board at the 8:25 mark of the second period, Peterson found Radke open on the right side of the net, where she flipped in her second goal of the game between the legs of Dunbar at the 6:21 mark.

“We are working together a lot better as a team,” Radke said. “Our energy is up there and things are going going.”

Elana Hoffman added a third-period goal for Watertown to complete the scoring.

Dunbar and her counterpart, Tigers goaltender Sierra Wagner, each made 21 saves.



At Lockwood Motors Ice Arena





First Period: 1. Marshall, Teegan Wyffels (unassisted), 1:19; 2. Marshall, Hannah Peterson (Mikenna Radke), 9:25; 3. Marshall, Bailey Archbold (Miranda Fischer), 12:59; 4. Marshall, Mikenna Radke (unassisted), 15:22. Penalties: Marshall, Miranda Fischer (body checking), 4:09; Marshall, Hannah Peterson (hooking), 6:12.

Second Period: 5. Marshall, Lizzie Archbold (Teegan Wyffels), 1:28; 6. Watertown, Heather Mullin (Kaielyn Muhl, Stephanie Kasten), 8:35; 7. Marshall, Mikenna Radke (Hannah Peterson), 10:39. Penalties: Marshall, Hannah Peterson (slashing), 15:47.

Third Period: 8. Watertown, Elana Hoffman (Kayla Piorkowski), 5:55. Penalties: Watertown, Elana Hoffman (too many players), 8:02; Watertown, Heather Mullin (body checking), 8:48.

Power-play Opportunities: Watertown 0 of 3; Marshall 0 of 2.

Shots on-goal: Watertown 23; Marshall 27.

Goaltending: Watertown, Stacie Dunbar (21 saves, 27 shots); Marshall, Sierra Wagner (21 saves, 23 shots).

Marshall 3,

Brookings, S.D., 2

MARSHALL – Lizzie Archbold scored the game-winning goal as Marshall defeated Brookings, S.D., 3-2 during the first round of the Battle of the Border on Friday at Lockwood Motors Ice Arena.

Archbold delivered an unassisted tally with 7:31 left to break a 2-2 third-period tie.

The Tigers (2-3-1 overall) took a 1-0 lead when Megan Vogl set up Bailey Archbold, who buried the puck past the Rangers goaltender less than two minutes into the second period.

Hallie Theodosopoulos tied the game 1-1 with an unassisted goal at the 11:40 mark in the second period, but Lizzie Archbold assisted Jessica Blanchard, who scored to give Marshall a 2-1 edge about ten minutes later.

In the closing seconds of the second period, Theodosopoulos netted her second unassisted goal of the game to force a 2-2 tie with 17 minutes left.

But Lizzie Archbold broke up the tie about midway through the third period.

Tigers goaltender Sierra Wagner made 18 saves.

MHS outshot Brookings 21-20.